From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving more architectures to ~arch only
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 21:14:47
1 On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 03:40:02PM +0200, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Dear everyone,
3 >
4 > Following some private discussions, I feel quite strongly now that it
5 > would both considerably improve certain processes and make our use of
6 > limited manpower more efficient were we to further reduce the number of
7 > stable arches in Gentoo Linux. Specifically, I propose to drop
8 > - hppa,
9 > - ppc,
10 > - sparc,
11 > - x86
12 > to ~arch-only status.
13 >
14 > Note that this does NOT mean we intend to drop support for those arches
15 > altogether.
16 >
17 > There are IMHO several good reasons for this:
18 > - most of the arches from this list are quite dated and either aren't
19 > really developed upstream any more or got superseded by newer ones (for
20 > the record, it's been 18 years since the first amd64 CPUs came out)
21 > - we have got very few people actually supporting these arches, and in
22 > case of hppa there is also the hardware bottleneck. Subsequently,
23 > stabilisation requests often take a long time to resolve
24 > - feedback we receive, e.g. by Bugzilla, suggests that Gentoo on at
25 > least some of these arches have got very, very few users
26 > - last but by no means least, my personal experience from the last
27 > several years suggests that running ~arch is reasonably trouble-free
28 > these days
29 >
30 > WDYT?
31
32 For the record, I'm fine with this.
33
34 x86 being on the list sort of caught my attention, but it does seem to
35 fall into the superceeded category, so it should be fine.
36
37 Even though running ~arch may be mostly trouble-free, this isn't really
38 relevant to the discussion imo. If you run ~arch, you should be prepared
39 for possible breakage at any time and be able to recover from it.
40
41 William