From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP 55] EAPI subdirectories instead of file name suffixes
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:44:14
1 Piotr Jaroszy?ski wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday 22 of December 2007 02:41:02 Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >> Piotr Jaroszy?ski kirjoitti:
5 >> > This GLEP proposes usage of EAPI-suffixed file extensions for ebuilds
6 >> > (for example, foo-1.2.3.ebuild-1).
7 >>
8 >> It seems many people don't like the idea of having it in the filename
9 >
10 > Seems you are counting the posts, not the people.
11 >
12 >> but how about having subdirectories for different eapis. This should
13 >> even be faster for the package manager as it can just ignore the
14 >> directories it can't understand instead of having to parse the file
15 >> names.
16 >
17 > It was already proposed, but didn't seem to get much support.
18 That would be counting posts, not people. It just hasn't been discussed.
19
20 > It is
21 > equivalent to using the suffixes, but I see it rather as perfomarnce hit,
22 > not improvement. The package manger would have to look for ebuilds in the
23 > main dir and all the subdirs in case it doesn't have/can't use the cache.
24 >
25 Yeah but this isn't about performance (or so I heard. I took that to mean it
26 was about ebuilds which can't be sourced, but you might want to check
27 exactly what McCreesh meant, since I am apparently incapable of
28 understanding his missives.)
29
30 Given that, the subdirectories would do the job fine, and end-users don't
31 have to worry about building the cache anyway.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list