From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 1 of N: merging & git signing
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:28:10
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > One thing people need to keep in mind here is that when you sign the
3 > commit, you're signing off on the history implicitly.  Directly
4 > addressing freeman's comment about "people sign the manifest but don't
5 > look at what they're signing", when it comes to git signage, bluntly,
6 > people doing that shouldn't have access- if they can't be arsed to
7 > validate what they're signing, then trusting them w/ the tree is
8 > probably questionable.
9
10 I suspect that you're missing my point. The argument was made that as
11 long as merge commits are signed you know that unsigned commits
12 referenced by them are OK. However, some of those commits might have
13 been already in gentoo-x86 and I doubt that anybody is going to check
14 those. If I have a perfect commit, I do a git pull and a git push and
15 the result is a merge that references whatever was in gentoo-x86
16 before, whether placed there by dev, or hacker, or whatever. Unless I
18 repeat the process when somebody else does a push before I do), I
19 can't vouch for what was in there already - just what I'm adding.
20
21 The reason I mentioned maifests is that they have the same issue. If
22 I keyword an arch on foo-1.4.5, I sign the manifest. That doesn't
23 mean that I checked every file in the package's directory tree for
24 issues. At most I checked foo-1.4.5, but I can't sign off on just
25 1.4.5 - I have to sign off on everything. Also, when I sign off on
26 1.4.5, I'm really just signing off for the keyword change, not the
27 piece of buggy code I didn't write on line 37 of the ebuild.
28
29 Of course when merging a pile of commits into the tree you should
30 check all of them to make sure they're fine (or rather that the end
31 result of them is fine - no absolute need to squash together bug
32 introductions and fixes even if that is nicer). However, I'm not sure
33 I'd extend that to checking commits ALREADY in gentoo-x86 made by some
34 other dev.
35
36 The general principle is that if you change something in the tree, you
37 should be responsible for what you changed, and that makes sense.
38
39 Rich