From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:51:35
1 On 13/08/2022 11:10, waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net wrote:
2 > On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:28:49 +0200
3 > Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 29/07/2022 13:06, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
6 >>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net wrote:
7 >>>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
8 >>>> Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> Up for grabs because of inactivity.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Needs some real love to tidy it up.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> Best,
17 >>>>> sam
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
20 >>>> the Gentoo Qt project?
21 >>>
22 >>> It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
23 >>> and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
24 >>> make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).
25 >>>
26 >>>> They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
27 >>>> contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
28 >>>> bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
29 >>>> in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
30 >>>
31 >>> On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
32 >>> don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
33 >>>
34 >>> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504
35 >>
36 >> I've added myself as the maintainer of shiboken2 and pyside2(-tools). I
37 >> also added shiboken6 and pyside6(-tools) (masked for testing).
38 >> Unfortunately the latter is stuck on python3_10 only at the moment,
39 >> adding python3_11 to this is a whole new can of worms.
40 >>
41 >> Help with these packages is most welcome. They are notoriously difficult
42 >> and fragile.
43 >>
44 >> Best regards,
45 >> Andrew
48 > Thanks Andrew for taking care of these packages. Like I said, I'd be
49 > happy to comaintain the packages and keep an additional two eyes on
50 > them.
51
52 Great! Would you like me to add you to the metadata.xml files so you'll
53 get CC'ed on the bugs?
54
55 > In my draft[1] for pyside6, I've also found the python 3.11
56 > incompatibility and removed it for further investigation. However, what
57 > I noticed, is, that upstream only has compatibility for python3 up to
58 > 3.10. Closing my draft, now that the package has been merged into the
59 > tree.
60
61 I completely forgot to check for open PRs before starting to work on
62 this, sorry about that. I could have saved myself a couple of hours of
63 work if I had. Thanks for the PR anyway.
64 The python3_11 incompatibility probably requires some patch for
65 shiboken6. It should be fixable considering that pyside2 does compile
66 with python3_11 (after patching). In any case it is not urgent since it
67 is still masked.
68
69 Best regards,
70 Andrew