From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council manifesto of sping
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:50:23
1 On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:36:50PM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Arun,
5 > On 06/21/10 21:25, Arun Raghavan wrote:
6 > >> My manifesto up here now:
7 > >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~sping/council-manifesto-2010-sping.txt
8 > >
9 > > For all your points where you do not have a concrete proposal of how
10 > > you intend to tackle the problem, could you please elaborate?
11 >
12 > please take your time to formulate concrete questions.
15 > > """ (w.r.t. git migration)
16 > > I hope to see Robin integrate me with the conversion process.
17 > > """
18 > >
19 > > How have you contributed to the effort thus far?
20 >
21 > I would like to re-phrase this question to
22 > "how come you are able to help", okay?
23 >
24 > I have
25 > - knowledge of Git beyond an average user of Git
26 > - migrated Portage from Subversion to Git
27 > including explaining fake merges using commit-tree
28 > to the portage developers [1] and more general essentials
29 > before that [2]
30 > - helped tommy of sunrise to get his earler multilib fork into
31 > the Portage repo
32 > - worked with
33 > - Git hooks
34 > - Gitosis
35 > - Gitolite (including its setup)
36 > - studied ciabot integration recently
37 > - read most of gentoo-scm
38 > - exchanged ideas with rbu and idl0r about it
39
40 While an interesting list of skills, do you have any that are relevant
41 to finishing the cvs->git issues? I'll refer you to
42
43 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-scm/msg_f827a8dd519e2d831f77bb32895342bb.xml
44
45 Your proposed solutions in your manifesto is to just throw out the
46 manifest bits that need completion, in the process ignoring the
47 infrastructural and security reasons for their existance. Same goes
48 for ignoring the commit hooks chunk for rsync generation (after all,
49 we can't just tell every gentoo user that "by the way, we're no longer
50 going to update rsync").
51
52 I'd be a bit less critical of your offer here and the manifesto
53 presented, if it was actually factual and at least a partially
54 accurate understanding of the issues outstanding.
55
56 At the very least, I suggest you actually have a chat w/ Robin
57 directly and get caught up on what the issues are rather than making
58 claims about his work that are pretty far off base.
59
60 Also please note Arun's actual question was "what have you done to
61 help", not "what skills do you have". There is difference- one I'm
62 guessing that is being lost in the language barrier.
63
64 ~harring