From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:00:23
1 On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:25:50PM +0100, David Leverton wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:46:52 Alex Alexander wrote:
3 > > If the community feels their choice, albeit not perfect, will help the
4 > > project, you have to respect that. That is, if you want to be part of the
5 > > community :)
6 >
7 > I see your point to some extent, but the concern is that such decisions might
8 > sometimes get made according to who's best at ignoring technical objections
9 > rather than what's the best thing to do. It has happened before, although in
10 > that case the change was made first, and then when the issue was brought up
11 > it got basically ignored for so long that it would be pointless to fix. It
12 > would be worrying if things like that started to happen more often.
13
14 I understand your concern. But this is no such case. We went through the
15 discussion phase already. We're trying to avoid an endless loop.
16
17 > In any case, as mentioned in my other mail, if this particular change is done
18 > in a way that's optional for the user, I personally won't be /too/ upset if
19 > the rest of you want to do unspeakable things to your systems ;-).
20
21 This thread is about LDFLAGS+="--as-needed" in make.defaults,
22 which can be overridden, so I don't see any issues there either.
23 You're free to change the defaults if you don't like them :)
26 Alex Alexander :: wired
27 Gentoo Developer
28 www.linuxized.com