From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Question on making ebuild for a zipped distribution
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:44:32
1 On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:28:13AM +0100, Alastair Tse wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 06:27, Stephen Boulet wrote:
3 > > <<
4 > > Leo is distributed as a single compressed (.zip) folder. Simply uncompress
5 > > this folder, put the folder in a convenient place and run leo.py.
6 > > >>
7 > >
8 > > Any hints for making a (probably easy) ebuild for this program? Any preferred
9 > > location?
10 >
11 > I would just put the script into /usr/bin as leo.py and the README's
12 > into your usual places. I don't believe there is a distinction between a
13 > python executable and a binary executable.
14
15 Although, it's not that easy. The Leo zip-ball is a mess. I tried to
16 figure out a way to make a ebuild for it when I first read about the
17 program. As I remember it, I had to try and figure out which files
18 where documentation and move them to /usr/share/doc and which files
19 should go to /usr/share/leo and make a shell script to wrap the leo.py
20 script. However, after actually testing the program, finding it too
21 buggy and not really living up to the hype, I put it down and didn't
22 bother with the effort. :)
23
24 Heck, if I remember correctly, I even got stuck on the unzipping of
25 the distribution. There were no 'virtual/unzip' dependencies, thus
26 forcing users to install one zip-program when they may already have
27 another.
28
29 Just my experience with leo.ebuild. Although if some effort is spent,
30 it should probably be straight forward to make one.
31
32 //H
36 To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list