From: leio@×××××××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What happend to portage speed?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:04:46
1 On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, John Nilsson wrote:
2
3 > No, no. The download is quick. But the calculation of deptree and that
4 > kind of things that takes so much time.
5 >
6 > Also what is this metadata directory? (Sorry for not RTFM).
7 >
8 > -John
11 After every rsync it rebuilds the cache... at least by default.
12 That's what takes the most time with an emerge sync on my 166MHz computer.
13 It was discussed a while ago that the cache has changed maybe by 5%, but
14 it does it all again. Parses some things, writes lots of files to cache,
15 etc. There were ideas how to make it quick again, but unfortunately either
16 no-one has brought it to reality or into the official portage.
17 If that's not your speed problem, disregard this e-mail, but I believe
18 this the most time demanding operation with emerge sync as of now.
19
20 Mart Raudsepp
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list