From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI) [2]
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:32:54
1 Piotr Jaroszyński <peper@g.o> posted
2 200712221643.11516.peper@g.o, excerpted below, on Sat, 22 Dec 2007
3 16:43:10 +0100:
4
5 > Abstract
6 > ========
7 >
8 > This GLEP proposes usage of EAPI-suffixed file extensions for ebuilds
9 > (for example, foo-1.2.3.ebuild-1).
10
11 This one does seem a marked improvement. Thanks. It really is
12 noticeably better. =8^)
15 > Specification
16 > =============
17
18 I made this suggestion earlier but it was deep in a subthread and perhaps
19 missed. Else, maybe it didn't reach you in time for this update.
20 Anyway, here it is again:
21
22 Right at this point, between the Specification header and the existing
23 "Let's call"... below, for clarity I believe we need a formal syntax
24 note, probably similar in format to the the one found in many manpages,
25 where it is called "Synopsis". Checking other GLEPs, I don't see
26 anything like this in most, but I do believe it /would/ help clarify and
27 is thus worth it. Like the following (I'm omitting the RST stuff):
28
29 Syntax:
30
31 <PF>.ebuild[-<EAPI>]
32
33 Where:
34
35 <PF> is the full package name, version, and revision, as in man 5 ebuild.
36
37 -<EAPI> is optional.
38
39 <EAPI> is the named EAPI.
40
41 Explanation:
42
43 > Let's call the EAPI included in the ebuild filename the pre-source EAPI,
44 > and the EAPI set inside the ebuild the post-source EAPI. Given these
45 > two, the final EAPI used by the ebuild can be established by following
46 > these steps:
47
48 It may also be worthwhile to specifically note /somewhere/ that this only
49 specifies *.ebuild* format, thus leaving other forms (say xbuild) for
50 further changes, if it should ever be decided necessary.
51
52 Combined, these two changes would have significantly reduced my initial
53 confusion upon reading the GLEP, thus leading to a false impression and
54 raising objections to the idea that didn't apply, once I understood more
55 clearly what, specifically, was being proposed.
60 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list