From: Geoff <zagadka@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenAFS server installation
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:58:37
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Holger Brueckner" <lists@××××××××.de>
3 To: <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
4 Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 11:54 PM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenAFS server installation
8 > > Hi there, I'm trying to get an openafs server up and running on a gento
9 > 1.0 rc6 test 11 box.
10 >
11 > nice .. i'm not the only gentooer now :)
12 >
13 > > Following the gentoo afs install guide, I got up to step 20,
14 > > "./vos create xxxx /vicepa root.afs -cell xxxx -noauth" (where xxxx are
15 > the appropriate values for my server and cell)
16 > > which then fails with
17 > > "Failed to create the volume root.afs 536870927
18 > > : Input/output error
19 > > Error in vos create command.
20 > >: Input/output error"
21 >
22 > do you actually have a real partition mounted on /vicepa ?!? what
23 filesystem
24 > ??
25
26 Yup, after much muddling, and a few repeats of 'cannot interpret partition
27 name blah', I made a new ext2 partition and mounted it at /vicepa. I'm
28 hoping the ext2 bit it temporary as I'm going to have a bit too much data on
29 some of my afs volumes to run a non-journaling filesystem - does reiserfs
30 work with afs yet?
31
32 The partition is an LVM logical volume - are there any afs LVM issues I
33 should be wary of?
34
35 > > I've insmod'ed '/etc/afs/modload/libafs-2.4.10-ac3.mp.o' (the libafs
36 > module for my 2.4.10-ac3 kernel), but I still get
37 > > the above error.
38 >
39 > There are problems with recent kernels .. the kernel developers recently
40 > like to change the inode definition in every new release :( ... i just
41 > updated the ebuild to the latest openafs version .. it should be in
42 portage
43 > soon (currently testing if it builds ok). update your portage tree (emerge
44 > rsync) and try emerging openafs-1.2.1-r6.ebuild
45 >
46 > i'm not sure if it will work with 2.4.10 though ... it should work with
47 > 2.4.9-ac10 which i'm using ...
48
49 Maybe I'll try that kernel later if things continue to not work :)
50
51 Thanks for the help!