From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 12:19:15
1 On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:37:25 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Ryan Hill wrote:
8 > > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:31:46 -0700
9 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
10 > >
11 > >>> Can package.use syntax be extended to allow set entries?
12 > >>> @compiz-fusion -gnome kde kde4
13 > >> Perhaps, but we need to clarify how that sort of setting will
14 > >> affect nested sets. For example, if @compiz-fusion contains nested
15 > >> sets, would those USE settings apply to the nested sets as well?
16 > >> Will nested sets be allowed to have independent USE settings from
17 > >> the sets that nest them?
18 > >
19 > > Maybe a nested set could inherit the USE flag settings of its
20 > > parent set unless it has its own entry in package.use.
21 > >
22 > > Though what happens if a package is in both sets which have
23 > > conflicting flags in package.use? I would say that the nested set
24 > > has to have priority. If not, I can easily imagine people getting
25 > > confused when their USE settings for a set are being applied to all
26 > > but one or two packages.
27 >
28 > It seems to me that the most logical approach would be to do some
29 > sort of "incremental" stacking, similar to the way that USE flags
30 > stack in the profiles. Suppose that we have the following settings
31 > in package.use:
32 >
33 > @kde-meta foo bar
34 > @kdeedu-meta -foo
35 >
36 > If the flags are stacked incrementally, analogously to the way that
37 > they are stacked in profiles, then the above setting would apply the
38 > "foo" and "bar" flags to all of @kde-meta except for the
39 > @kdeedu-meta subset which would only have "bar" applied since "foo"
40 > has been disabled incrementally. Does this approach seem reasonable?
41
42 From a lowly users perspective, I would say this is more intuitive. It
43 fits with the expected policy of the closest flag to the package taking
44 precedence...
45
46 Rob.