From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:56:06
1 Zac Medico posted on Sun, 01 Jan 2012 02:15:49 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'm not sure if a USE flag for FEATURES setting would be necessary. If
4 > we want to enforce a global policy, then I guess a QA warning would be
5 > warranted.
6
7 I didn't state why I suggested that, but here's the reasoning:
8
9 Unless I missed an update somewhere, USE flags are covered by PMS and
10 thus available to be used in ebuilds, etc. AFAIK, portage FEATURES are
11 just that, portage FEATURES, and thus are supposed to be opaque to
12 ebuilds, which shouldn't need to care which PM is running or its
13 features, as long as it's PMS compliant.
14
15 Thus, the split between the FEATURES bit which the ebuild shouldn't need
16 to know about (the user sets up the symlinks and sets the features and
17 portage takes care of it managing the rest for existing versions without
18 rewriting), and the USE flag, for where upstreams and/or ebuilds are
19 actually rewritten with the possibility of both layouts (and later only
20 the /usr locations) in mind and the ebuild installs to the targeted
21 location based on the USE flag.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman