From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] x32 fun pants
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:34:44
ive converted my system over to x86/amd64/x32 multilib for funs.  but i can
see how some people wont want all three all the time.  so the question is how
we want to make this available to users at the release/profile level.

background: x32 is a new ABI that runs on 64bit x86_64 processors.  see [1].
you'll need gcc-4.7+, binutils-2.21.50+, glibc-2.15+, and linux-3.2+.

KEYWORDS wise, i'd like to avoid having to add "x32" everywhere.  instead,
reusing "amd64".  only downside is the existing USE=amd64 behavior, but we can
address that by making MULTILIB_ABIS a USE_EXPAND (i think this came up before
with the portage multilib discussion).

release wise, we could ship a single multilib stage (x86/amd64/x32) and make
it easy to convert to a subset.  that way we still need only one.

other thoughts ?
-mike

[1] https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/