From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:15:36
1 On 17-06-2010 12:08, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
2 > On 17-06-2010 11:51, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 02:32:51 +0200
4 >> Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> I wouldn't feel to bad if Gentoo is widely recognized as the
6 >>> distribution with the most friendly community around in 2011.
7 >>
8 >> Wouldn't you rather it be recognised as the distribution with the best
9 >> product?
12 > When I read that, the first question that was raised on me was:
13 > - The best product for what, whom?
14 > We can't simply put all possible Gentoo applications and users in one bag.
15 >
16 > Is it really good to think on Gentoo as a product? Can we do like Apple
17 > and treat our users like crap while still making them use our product?
18 > *No!*
19 > Unless we provide locking, GNU/Linux users will always have a choice.
20 > That choice can be to join the Gentoo community, or leave it.
21 >
22 > - Angelo
25 I apologize for replying to self but I felt we should all remember *what
26 is Gentoo*. Or at least what it used to be..
27
28 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
29
30 "What is Gentoo?
31
32 Gentoo is a free operating system based on either Linux or FreeBSD that
33 can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any
34 application or need. Extreme configurability, performance and a
35 top-notch user and developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo
36 experience.
37
38 (...)
39
40 *Of course, Gentoo is more than just the software it provides. It is a
41 community built around a distribution* which is driven by more than 300
42 developers and thousands of users. The distribution project provides the
43 means for the users to enjoy Gentoo: documentation, infrastructure
44 (mailinglists, site, forums ...), release engineering, software porting,
45 quality assurance, security followup, hardening and more.
46 "