From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:38:25
1 On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:35:16PM +0000, Thomas Flavel wrote:
2 > > > How would gentoo be installed on a 386?
3 > >
4 > > Very slowly. 386's and bzip2-compressed packages don't exactly get along :)
5 >
6 > :) Is it feasible to have two alternate install routes; one compiling from scratch
7 > and the other pre-compiled?
8 >
9 > > If there's a need, we can create a 386-compatible build.
10 >
11 > I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where absolutley
12 > needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would be
13 > slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;)
14 >
15 > Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's some
16 > practicality reason I'm missing.
17
18 Right now, it's possible to install the minimal sys.tbz2 tarball and build everything
19 else using portage. If you like, you can then remerge the sys binaries so that they
20 have your desired optimization settings:
21
22 ebuild foo.ebuild remerge
23
24 The only one you don't want to remerge is the "baselayout" ebuild, since this will wipe
25 out any changes you've made to your passwd, group, fstab, etc.
28 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
29 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
30 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.