From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: using /libexec
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:49:40
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 13:46 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > we just got the following bug report for openrc today [1].
5
6 The solution to that bug is probably to use /lib*/.. instead of /lib/...
7 as the path you use ?
8
9 > On a gentoo 64 bit system, /lib is a symbolic link to /lib64, and this
10 > causes breakage in openrc.
11
12 That sounds like an openrc bug to me.
13
14 > The simplest fix for this would be for us to add /libexec to baselayout
15 > and start using it for platform-agnostic code. We have /usr/libexec, so
16 > I don't know why we don't have /libexec. Should we?
17
18 /usr/libexec is not for platform-agnostic code, it is for platform
19 dependant executables that are not meant to be executed directly by the
20 user. /usr/lib/X/Y and /usr/libexec/Y should be exactly the same.
21
22 You may want to put all the executables in /usr/libexec anyway, as
23 having separate / and /usr is a outdated idea anyway, and most of the
24 other distros will make that completely impossible very soon. Be bold.
25 Fedora is even going to make /lib, /bin and /sbin symlinks to /usr.
26
27 My 2 cents (as the guy who made the /lib->/lib64 link in the first
28 place).
31 Olivier CrĂȘte
32 tester@g.o
33 Gentoo Developer