From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Security <security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 22:24:14
1 Hi Kristian,
2
3 On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 21:50:51 +0100 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 > A draft of a Pre-GLEP for the Security project is available for reading
5 > at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:K_f/GLEP:Security
6 >
7 > The GLEP follows a line of GLEPs for special projects that have
8 > tree-wide access in order to ensure proper accountability (c.f GLEP 48
9 > for QA and still non-produced GLEP for ComRel (I've started working on
10 > this and will be presenting this one later as current ComRel Lead))
11 >
12 > Comments, patches, threats, etc welcome
13
14 First of all, thank you for this Pre-GLEP, since we really need some
15 public and established policy for the Security project.
16
17 1. From this proposal it looks like the Security Project Lead
18 obtains a lot of power and a lot of responsibility, maybe too much
19 for a single person to handle.
20
21 While the Deputy may be assigned, this still gives all power to
22 single hands. Maybe it will be better to establish something like
23 the Security Project Council (SPC)? E.g. three project members may
24 be elected to this SPC, so that all serious decisions will require
25 some team agreement from at least 2 SPC members. This way the
26 Deputy will not be needed as well.
27
28 2. "If a vulnerability is unlikely to be fixed by upstream or the
29 package's maintainer it might require a package mask." — I'd like
30 to see this expanded to more detail, because it is possible to mask
31 for removal and to simply mask without scheduled removal.
32
33 Sometimes an application is desirable even if it is vulnerable,
34 e.g. if there are no alternatives. Sometimes a vulnerability is
35 minor or affect a very rare use case. Sometimes users need a
36 specific software version for their workflow and they don't really
37 care about security — this affects many scientific packages being
38 used at isolated HPC setups.
39
40 My point is that users must be informed about security problem, but
41 they still should have a choice. So it should be either a rule
42 "mask without removal" or clear guidelines when to remove a
43 package and when to not.
44
45 Best regards,
46 Andrew Savchenko