From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pam 0.75-r3...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:08:06
1 On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 10:37, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
2 >
3 > PAM in Gentoo is currently undergoing a revamp. PAM 0.75-r3 is masked
4 > out and for very good reason, currently passwd is broken and it has
5 > received little testing. Don't play with it unless you know how to work
6 > single user mode. ;)
7 >
8 > PAM 0.75-r3 contains over 50 patches from Redhat to PAM 0.75 and
9 > includes pam_stack and pam_console.
10 >
11 > All entries in /etc/pam.d need to be converted to use pam_stack _after_
12 > Pam 0.75-r4 is out (which will be the first unmasked with pam_stack) and
13 > tested to make sure they work. The old pam.d files should continue to
14 > work fine until they are updated. Pam 0.75-r4 should be out tomorrow
15 > (assuming I find out why passwd is messing up and I get positive
16 > feedback from developers)
17 >
18 > Several pam.d files need to be removed from the pam package and moved
19 > into the appropriate packages and the shadow package needs to be updated
20 > to remove its version of /etc/login.access. Also, I imagine there are a
21 > few packages that use pam that don't install pam.d files. If you spot
22 > any pam.d files that need to be updated, etc after 0.75-r4 is out please
23 > don't be afraid to fix it or at the very least file a bug report with
24 > [PAM] in its title... one of us trained monkeys will answer your report
25 > in the order it was received... erm... *cough* ;)
26 >
27 > pam_console use in login, etc is currently disabled because
28 > /etc/security/console.perms needs to be updated to make it devfs
29 > friendly. (pam_console is the part of pam that chmod's stuff like the
30 > sound device files, etc to the person logged into the actual physical
31 > console). Anyone who knows devfs well want to volunteer? :)
34 We need to add the following to /etc/devfsd.conf:
35
36 ----------------cut here-----------------------
37 # Let PAM manage devfs
38 REGISTER .* CFUNCTION
39 /lib/security/pam_console_apply_devfsd.so pam_console_apply_single
40 $devpath
41 -----------------cut here----------------------
42
43 NOTE: the lines after the comment should be only one
44
45 And the attatched patch applied to PAM to get the required
46 library (i think *g*).
47
48 > --
49 >