From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New license: Adaptec
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:20:53
1 Am Donnerstag, den 29.08.2013, 13:17 +0200 schrieb Ulrich Mueller:
2 > >>>>> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Tiziano Müller wrote:
3 >
4 > > I would like to add arcconf (binary to manage aacraid-based
5 > > controllers) to the tree, which is protected by a mandatory
6 > > clickthrough witch the attached text.
7 >
8 > > The license would be named "Adaptec" and added to the NON-FREE
9 > > license group.
10 >
11 > The license contains nasty clauses like this:
12 > "If you are a European Consumer you must not export Software outside
13 > the country in which you download it without our prior written
14 > permission."
15
16 In my use case that clause isn't a real problem since it's being used on
17 a server.
18
19 > I.e., if you install the software on your computer, you're not allowed
20 > to travel with it. Not sure if this would be enforceable for travel
21 > within the EU, but nevertheless, I suggest that you add the license to
22 > the @EULA group. And the ebuild needs mirror restriction, at least.
23
24 right, @EULA is what I meant (instead of NON-FREE).
25 Since you're not allowed to redistribute I already restricted fetch,
26 mirror & bindist in the corresponding ebuild.
27
28 What is interesting is that they even make you agree to that EULA for
29 their updated aacraid drivers which are based on the in-kernel drivers.
30 I suspect a GPL violation here...
31
32 > "Adaptec" was previously used for a different license:
33 > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/Adaptec?view=markup
34 > So better choose another name to avoid confusion.
35
36 good point, will go for ADAPTEC then instead