From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Bugzilla HOWTO Update
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:19:22
1 Chris White wrote:
2 >>never reassign a bug
5 > Ok, I have a section on how to re-assign the bug to the maintainer if you're the reporter, so you don't want that at all is what you're saying? Just let bug-wranglers handle it?
6
7 Yes, I'm pretty much saying that. Thinking back to the situation that prompted
8 me to note this down, a kernel bug came in. bug-wranglers assigned it to
9 kernel. The reporter then reassigned it to me(!?) without me even responding,
10 with a comment like, "dsd this one is for you". Since when do our users get to
11 choose which developer fixes their bug? I found this quite rude and replied
12 with a (probably too harsh) comment and reassigned it back to kernel. The user
13 then sent me an apologetic email, stating that he didn't know much about
14 Gentoo development and asked me to explain the reassignment procedures.
15
16 My response to that: Just leave reassignment to the developers (wranglers
17 included).
18
19 >>always try the testing package before reporting bug
22 > Not sure what you mean by this. I'd assume they would have already tested the package in order to have hit the bug?
23
24 If v3.2.1 is stable, and v3.2.2 is ~arch, and they found the bug on v3.2.1,
25 then they should also try v3.2.2 before filing the bug. Thats all I was
26 thinking of.
27
28 >>how to apply patches in general
31 > I need a clearer example of this. Do you mean applying kernel patches? Most users will just need to know how to patch ebuilds and add epatch lines to ebuilds, I'm not sure of anything else.
32
33 I mean applying patches using patch. So yes, kernel patches would be included
34 under that. And I imagine there are many situations (for non-kernel stuff)
35 where using patch is easier than epatch.
36
37 For example, to add a patch to a small ebuild package, you can either create
38 an overlay, copy the ebuild over, modify the ebuild to add epatch (this
39 involves being able to find the right function in the ebuild, possibly even
40 _creating_ a src_unpack function, requiring a lot of knowledge from the user),
41 make a filesdir, put patch in filesdir, emerge.
42
43 Or:
44
45 cd /usr/portage/blah/blah
46 ebuild blah.ebuild unpack
47 pushd /var/tmp/portage/blah/work/blah
48 patch -p1 /path/to/patch
49 popd
50 ebuild blah.ebuild merge
51
52 I think the latter version is easier since it doesn't require as much
53 background knowledge. And the patch technique is useful to know for if you
54 need to patch a kernel or something like that.
55
56 Daniel
57 --
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list