From: Zhang Le <r0bertz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:02:58
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Before spending even more time on it, could we try to come up with a
3 > definition of what eapi is, which problem is trying to solve and put
4 > that somewhere that isn't a long thread or an handful of threads
5 > scattered across mailing lists.
6
7 I think we also need to know:
8 How many EAPI's do we have now?
9 Where is the detailed definition of those EAPI's?
10 How can we produce a new EAPI?
11
12 IMO, we can not have more than two EAPI's simultaneously.
13 The only situation in which we can have two EAPI is in the transition period
14 of those two EAPI's. And we should set a time constraint on the transition.
15 Other than that we can only have one working EAPI which all package managers
16 conforms to.
17
18 Otherwise, I think we may be risking forking the portage tree.
22 Zhang Le, Robert
23 GPG key ID: 1E4E2973
24 Fingerprint: 0260 C902 B8F8 6506 6586 2B90 BC51 C808 1E4E 2973
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list