From: Richard Farina <sidhayn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:07:19
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 06/15/2012 03:49 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
5 > Am 15.06.2012 09:26, schrieb Michał Górny:
6 >> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:56:04 -0700
7 >> Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:15:28AM +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
10 >>>> On 15 June 2012 09:58, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
11 >>>>> So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo, or not worry
14 >>>>> about Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues?
15 >>>>
16 >>>> I think it at least makes sense to talk about it, and work out what
17 >>>> we can and cannot do.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I guess we're in an especially bad position since everybody builds
20 >>>> their own bootloader. Is there /any/ viable solution that allows
21 >>>> people to continue doing this short of distributing a first-stage
22 >>>> bootloader blob?
23 >>>
24 >>> Distributing a first-stage bootloader blob, that is signed by
25 >>> Microsoft, or someone, seems to be the only way to easily handle this.
26 >>
27 >> Maybe we could get one such a blob for all distros/systems?
30 > I guess nothing prevents you from re-distributing Fedora's blob.
31 >
32 >> Also, does this signature system have any restrictions on what is
33 >> signed and what is not? In other words, will they actually sign a blob
34 >> saying 'work-around signatures' on the top?
37 > They might sign it. I think it is just an automated process verified
38 > with smartcards. The point is, they will also blacklist it as soon as
39 > malware starts using it (or as soon as they are aware of the possibility).
40 >
41 > It should also be noted that having a bootloader blob is not enough. You
42 > have to do it like Fedora and sign the kernel and modules as well as
43 > removing kernel features that could result in security breaches
44 > (everything outlined in [1]). I don't see any reasonable way to do this
45 > while allowing users to build their own kernel and third-party modules.
46 >
47 > In the end, I think we'll need *-bin packages for everything running in
48 > kernel-space.
49
50 Being all about choice I have to agree that as long as we have both bin
51 and normal kernels there is nothing wrong with that. However, dear god,
52 with how many kernels we have won't this get really expensive really
53 fast? Even just signing gentoo-sources and hardened-sources would cost
54 a fortune considering both change weekly if not daily. So that puts us
55 to signing just stable releases and damn users who want secure boot and
56 a recent kernel or need a custom patch? This all seems like a huge step
57 in the wrong direction to me, at the very least the amount of effort for
58 this is near insurmountable in my eyes.
59
60 - -Zero
63 > [1] http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
64 >