From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avoiding urgent stabilizations
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:13:09
1 tl;dr - can we add more automated tests to auto-generated stages?
2
3 On 2/8/11 1:22 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > Hmmm, odd. I experience amd64 (stable) as being pretty stable on my
5 > servers. Last breakage which really got me upset was php, but
6 > that's already some time ago.
7
8 Makes sense. Most of the breakages I had in mind when starting this
9 thread were related to consolekit/policykit/login manager/de breakages,
10 or some desktop software not compiling with an updated gcc. Those issues
11 generally don't affect servers.
12
13 By the way, to turn this thread into some action: what testing do we
14 currently perform for auto-generated stages? It'd be cool to at least
15 compile-test that the stage can "emerge -e world" itself, and emerge
16 some common packages (with FEATURES="test" so that we run at least some
17 of the produced code).
18
19 > With Gentoo you should update on fairly regular intervals, and have
20 > the time inbetween as short as possible, but 2 or 3 weeks appears to
21 > be fine. I myself have a cronjob that syncs every night, and mails
22 > me the output of emerge -Dupv world. When this list gets too large,
23 > it's typically about time to do some updating.
24
25 Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll start using it.
26
27 > I have masked new major releases of PostgreSQL and MySQL for
28 > instance, and of course Python 3.
29
30 Yeah, this ease of masking is a great strength of Gentoo.