From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: agaffney@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] status of releng project
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:39:01
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 08:23:58PM +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > agaffney had started work on quickstart, which basically did what the
3 > handbook did in an automatic fashion. i only tried it a couple of times,
4 > but it worked rather well.
5 >
6 > its a small and neat piece of code. for anybody looking at deploying
7 > Gentoo in an automatic fashion this is a good start:
8 > http://agaffney.org/quickstart.php
9
10 I second that, we use it to all installs in our 3000 node cluster and it
11 works fine for us. We've extended it to use our mysql-based server
12 inventory and a bunch of additional features:
13
14 * lvm-protection (not wiping named partitions on reinstall)
15 * raid controller setup
16 * ipmi configuration support
17 * misc environment specific stuff
18
19 The code is ugly and depends in most cases on an external information
20 source to do the work, but given sufficient interest I'm willing to see if
21 I can clean it up and make it generic enough for general use.
22
23 We've been using it since 2007 or so and are reasonably happy with it, most
24 of the gripes stem from the quality of our own changes rather than the base
25 packages those changes were made upon :)
26
27 So thanks, agaffney :)
28
29 Grtz Ramon