From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub-2 configuration
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 05:10:06
1 On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:46:29 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:34:11 -0500
5 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > You don't have to use grub-mkconfig. You can write /boot/grub/grub.cfg
8 > > by hand if you want, and it appears that the syntax is documented in the
9 > > grub info pages.
10 > >
11 > > William
12 >
13 > Just saying, it would be really nice to have some documented example cases
14 > ship with grub-2, like it did with grub:0
15 >
16 > grub-2 via qlist grub | grep -i conf
17 >
18 > Its pretty clear which of these we're getting pushed to use.
21 There does however exist a /usr/portage/sys-boot/grub/files/grub.conf.gentoo on my system,
22 It just has to be
23
24 a) Updated to stay relevant
25 b) Placed in a place I expect to find it
26 c) Be referenced in the grub-2 post-install messages or at very least, more prevalent in
27 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
28
29 Because encouraging everyone to use it the way that has clearly seen
30 resistance in gentoo doesn't seem to be helping.
31
32 Though I do see the documentation is better than it was when I
33 switched, the message that you can use a simpler configuration scheme
34 is not prevalent enough for people to be noticing it.