From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc: use iproute2 for all network handling in linux
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:27:32
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 04:10:50PM -0600, Matt Thode wrote:
> I think that we should be using the new tools by now, it's been in development for the last ten years. There would have to be some sort of migration path for people to use though.
If you have iproute2 installed, and you do not have a line like the following in your /etc/conf.d/net file: modules="!ifconfig" or modules_ifname="!ifconfig" you are already using iproute2 to configure your routes and static addresses, so the only thing that would need to change, and this doesn't have to happen now, is that you would have to change over to using cidr addresses,, for example: config_ethx="x.x.x.x/24" instead of config_ifname="x.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0" But, because of the way the network scripts are written, this is a separate issue from dropping support for ifconfig, so it could be handled with a migration path later. William