From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 16:04:07
1 On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o> wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, den 03.04.2010, 15:40 +0100 schrieb Roy Bamford:
3 >> First, we need some metrics - the first step to controlling anything is
4 >> to measure it.
5 >
6 > So, how do you want to measure those metrics? I for one can't think of a
7 > useful algorithm which helps to identify understaffed or orphaned areas.
8 > Sure, one might take a look at the number of packages compared with open
9 > bugs for example - but in the end that still won't give you some useful
10 > metrics.
11
12 When I was a treecleaner I tended to look at a few things; note that
13 because we enforce very little in the tree these are basically just a
14 set of heuristics.
15
16 - metadata.xml: how many packages are maintainer-{needed,wanted}.
17 Does not apply to all herds because some herds fix anything in their
18 herd.
19 - date of last commit: Gentoo is fast moving and packages that
20 haven't had commits since 200{4,5,6} are probably old, unmaintained
21 and may not even compile or run.
22 - date of last listed maintainer commit versus last commit:
23 Basically if the maintainer hasn't touched the ebuild in a while but
24 someone else (herd members?) have, the metadata.xml is probably out of
25 date.
26
27 The above are all pretty easy to do with the data in the tree. Some
28 other useful ideas might be:
29 - compare open bugs for the package, when was the last bug for a
30 package closed (bugs data kinda sucks for this)
31 - for a given package in a herd, check the version in the tree
32 against freshmeat or similar to see how far behind it is (I think
33 someone wrote something for this already, exherbo?)
34 - check imlate to see if keywording is behind (is the maintainer
35 filing stablereqs?)
36
37 Metrics do not have to be perfect (they never are...) but they may
38 shine some light on some areas of the tree that need staff.
39
40 -A
44 > If someone has a feeling somewhere helping hands are missing or an area
45 > is orphaned - that's the best "metrics" we can get.
46 >
47 > - Tobias
48 >
49 > --