From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:53:52
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:14:07 -0400 (EDT)
Todd Berman <tberman@×××××××××.org> wrote:

> > Honestly, giving the mplayer peoples preoccupation with the legality > of what they are doing, if they are providing the downloading, I have > no doubt it is completely legal. >
I have no doubt neither. The point is not legality but more a matter of personal choice. What I propose with this USE flag is a way to avoid ebuilds for free softwares to hardly depend on non-free software, in order to allow people who want it to build a 100% free system. But the problem is that it would be a lot of work: we should determine what are the free and the non-free licenses used in Gentoo (there are currently 208 license in portage!), to list free packages currently depending on non-free packages (this is the easiest part, doable with a few scripts), and to modify their ebuilds (doable by hand for a fews tens ebuilds, but not hundreds. And I have no idea of how many such ebuilds we would find). -- Thomas de Grenier de Latour. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list