From: Corey Crawford <ccrawford@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Ebuilds and the changes people make to them
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:42:58
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Paul de Vrieze [mailto:pauldv@g.o]
3 > Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 2:19 PM
4 > To: gentoo-dev@g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuilds and the changes people make to them
6 >
7 > [blunt reply]
8 > On a production system one should allways read changelogs before
9 > updating, and possibly even first test it. Also having binary packages to
10 put back if
11 > things won't work is very useful.
12 > [/blunt reply]
13 >
14 > > Has anyone considered moving any 'configure' options to another file?
15 >
16 > I don't think so. It would also be complicated because sometimes
17 > configure scripts themselves change defaults or other packages depend on
18 certain
19 > configure options being present (which makes it not optional to
20 > not use the option).
21 >
22 > > Moving the 'configure' options to another file would alleviate a lot of
23 > > problems. This would allow those of us who have working systems to
24 continue
25 > > to have functioning systems even if the default values for those
26 configure
27 > > options have changed.
28 >
29 > I understand your problems, I agree with it, however I see no way
30 > of solving the problem. The best guarantee for stability is not updating
31 > unless needed, and in that case be very careful (a diff between the old
32 ebuild
33 > and the new one).
34 >
35 > Paul
36 >
37 > --
38 > Paul de Vrieze
39 > Gentoo Developer
40 > Mail: pauldv@g.o
41 > Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net
42
43 This change was not in the ChangeLog - though I didn't diff the ebuilds
44 until after I had already emerged it. (Doh!)
45
46 I don't see why you couldn't have configure options in a separate file.
47 Sure, I understand that some configure options are required - but when you
48 first get the package you should get all those defaults in the separate
49 file. (It would be included with the ebuilds much like ChangeLog is).
50
51 Once you had those defaults you could make changes to them so that following
52 upgrades will use the same options. The file could actually have the values
53 for those configure options as variables rather than the whole
54 '--option=value' string. The ebuild script would then reference those
55 variables or use defaults if the variable isn't available in the
56 configuration file.
57
58 This would allow us to only specify specific things if we want (such as
59 paths), but use defaults for everything else.
60
61 Since this is a scripting thing, each ebuild could be modified as time went
62 on and wouldn't require all of them to use this system right away.
63
64 Ideally, I'd like to see something like this, using apache as an example..
65
66 [Files]
67 Configuration-apache2.defaults
68 Configuration-apache2.custom
69 Configuration-apache.defaults
70 Configuration-apache.custom
71
72 [In Configration-apache2.defaults]
73 $DocRootPath = "/var/www/"
74 $OtherVariables = ....
75
76 [In Configuration-apache2.custom]
77 $DocRootPath = "/home/www"
78
79 Since apache has two versions available to emerge, you would need two
80 different sets of configuration files.
81
82 Any variables in .custom would override variables defined in .defaults. If
83 the ebuild maintainer needs to make changes to the configure options then
84 he/she simply makes changes to the .defaults file, leaving any overridden
85 options alone in the .custom file.
86
87 Just an idea. Would make my life easier :)
88
89 ---
90 Corey Crawford
91 ccrawford@×××××××.net