From: Christian Ruppert <idl0r@g.o>
To: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla 4 migration
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 01:50:08
1 On 03/07/2011 01:00 AM, Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > On 03/06/11 23:55, Christian Ruppert wrote:
3 >> our Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org) will be unavailable for the next hours.
4 >> We're going to migrate our old Bugzilla to Bugzilla-4.
5 >> We expect our update to finish within the next hours.
6 >
7 > (Private reply, as I don't feel like flaming you in public. Feel free to
8 > re-send to a public list, or quote, preferably as a whole.)
9 >
10 > Hi Christian,
11 > I wanted to ask if I missed the announcement of the migration. I tried
12 > to imagine a case which would force people to go ahead and perform such
13 > an action without informing the world about the downtime in advance, but
14 > failed to find one. So, did I miss the announcement, or was that a lapse
15 > on some guy's side, or is it something else which warranted a swift
16 > action? Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice, upgraded bugzie.
17 >
18 > Hm, so before sending this mail, I checked my gentoo-dev archive, and
19 > the first e-mail about Bugzilla migration is roughly 12 hours old.
20 > That's very different from how Infra has handled any other migration in
21 > the past (apart from dealing with unexpected emergencies, of course). I
22 > realize I'm in the armchair position in this case, but this looks like a
23 > rather dangerous move. When you add the workflow change, I wouldn't
24 > stick with an announcement 12 hours in advance myself (I do sysadmin
25 > stuff as a day job).
26 >
27 > With kind regards,
28 > Jan
31 Hey Jan,
32
33 I know I didn't announce it properly. It was *my* "fault" but this is
34 also a special case IMO.
35 We decided to migrate just a few hours ago because robbat2 and me having
36 enough time to do it now, finally. We're waiting since about 2007 for
37 Bugzilla upgrades and it's now 2011 so I thought it's ok to do it now
38 instead of waiting another few months (probably) or longer until we both
39 have enough time again etc.
40
41 We're not going to change the workflow, at least not now. We only do
42 that if you guys decided about it.
45 Regards,
46 Christian Ruppert
47 Role: Gentoo Linux developer, Bugzilla administrator and Infrastructure
48 member
49 Fingerprint: EEB1 C341 7C84 B274 6C59 F243 5EAB 0C62 B427 ABC8