From: "Peter Volkov (pva)" <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolve build time default editor dependency. (was: How get ebuild provider virtual/category.)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:16:13
1 On 2006-11-12 at 04:34 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > why not modify sudo to not filter the EDITOR env var then there is no
3 > more problem
4
5 Considering that this is the only situation where environment is
6 dropped... yes this fixes sudo problem. The other possible solution is:
7
8 #!/bin/bash
9 export EDITOR="/usr/bin/editor"
10 /usr/bin/fcrontab -e
11
12 BUT.
13
14 1. upstream uses this in the code. Then to avoid mess and unify approach
15 we should remove all such things from the code itself. In other cases
16 this will stay as a bug in gentoo.
17
18 2. And I see possibility to write secure editor, which will write only
19 in predefined locations. Use of such editor became possible only through
20 clumsy wrapper scripts (like above) if we chose to force people never to
21 use built in defaults.
22
23 And in anyway we need solution to make things more predictable.
24
25 Peter.