From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping PyPy(3) back to ~arch
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 15:06:09
1 Hi,
2
3 I think I've made a mistake by stabilizing PyPy(3), and I would like to
4 drop it back to ~arch (and stable-mask the relevant flags).
5
6 Roughly, there are 4 problems with it:
7
8 1. The current stable (both Gentoo and upstream) is PyPy3.6 that is
9 equivalent to CPython 3.6. Yes, the one we removed already. People
10 using this version are already hitting issues because of upstreams
11 dropping py3.6 support or us failing to provide proper compatibility.
12
13 2. The next branch, PyPy3.7 is still in alpha state upstream. It has
14 a few major bugs, e.g. the regex engine is sometimes slightly broken.
15 The stdlib tests are mostly broken (compared to moderately broken
16 in 3.6).
17
18 3. To the best of my knowledge, there's no work hapenning to have
19 PyPy3.8, so it will keep being behind CPython.
20
21 4. PyPy upstream doesn't merge CPython stdlib changes timely, nor takes
22 care of vulnerabilities inherited from CPython.
23
24 5. PyPy3 doesn't give the same ABI stability guarantees as CPython,
25 and our choice not to slot between PyPy3 versions doesn't help (and it's
26 not worth changing considering all the other points). Upgrading PyPy3
27 involves intermittent breakage, and people using it with Portage (which
28 is my fault) experience fatal breakage.
31 Honestly, I've tried to improve PyPy in the past but I don't really have
32 time or motivation to do this continuously. PyPy is an interesting
33 project, and it has its isolated uses. However, I don't think it's
34 ready as a general-purpose Python interpreter for production
35 environments.
36
37 I don't really want to remove it entirely or revert all the work we've
38 put into testing packages with it -- but I think we should move it to
39 ~arch at the very least.
40
41 WDYT?
44 Best regards,