From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Forbid using versions in DESCRIPTION
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:13:43
1 On Tuesday, 24. July 2007 14:26, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh kirjoitti:
3 > > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:44:52 +0200
4 > >
5 > > "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Perhaps we should just move DESCRIPTIONs to metadata. That would
7 > >> make it impossible to use ${PV} and more importantly also remove
8 > >> some duplication.
9 > >
10 > > Got to be careful here. In the past it's been stated that Portage
11 > > won't use XML for anything that it has to parse.
12 >
13 > Well here we need to answer the question whether searching
14 > DESCRIPTION strings is a core feature. I have never used emerge
15 > --searchdesc but that might be just me.
16
17 I believe it to be a core feature. How else am I to find an rss reader
18 in portage without having any preference or knowledge before
19 installing? Or some random tool to convert X to Y.
20 Often, features are not part of the name.
21
22 Robert
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list