From: Zhang Le <r0bertz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:52:57
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 December 2007 20:01:55 Zhang Le wrote:
3 >> IMO, we can not have more than two EAPI's simultaneously.
4 >
5 > That defeats the whole purpose of having EAPIs. Which is to keep a sane
6 > upgrade path...
7
8 Upgrading happens between two versions.
9
10 When a new version comes out, we should educate developers about it and
11 encourage them to convert their ebuilds to use new EAPI.
12 When this finished, we can start upgrading to a more new version of EAPI.
13 IMHO, that should be the right way to go.
14 However, I think there is still devs don't know about EAPI-1.
15
16 If we allow multiple EAPI's to co-exist, do we need a upper limit on that
17 number? Or as many as someone likes? then our tree IMO will become a total
18 mess. People will not remember clearly differences between so many EAPI's.
22 Zhang Le, Robert
23 GPG key ID: 1E4E2973
24 Fingerprint: 0260 C902 B8F8 6506 6586 2B90 BC51 C808 1E4E 2973
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list