From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving developer/user communication (was Re: net-im/pidgin protocols)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:25:23
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:45:46 -0500
3 > Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>> Any user who will see and respond to a question is unrepresentative
6 >>> of the user base in general.
7 >> So if ten users reply then, are all ten individually wrong too?
8 >
9 > Not my point. My point is that most Gentoo users would either not see
10 > the question or not respond. Those that both see the question and take
11 > time to respond are highly atypical.
12
13 If you were clever enough and wanted the largest amount of answers you
14 would put the questions around ever communication channel gentoo has,
15 you would then get the opinions of the majority of users.
16 >
17 >> I wish ALL users would vote in a poll on the forums
18 >
19 > That wouldn't tell you what all users want though. It would tell you
20 > what forum users who take the time to respond to a poll want. Again,
21 > not a representative sample. And that's the issue at hand -- Gentoo has
22 > an extremely hard time delivering information to most users. Getting
23 > information back is even trickier. The set of people who respond is
24 > heavily skewed towards better-informed users who have time to seek out
25 > and participate in that kind of questioning.
26
27 Ahhhhh, now I see! The fact that we would get answers from some users is
28 the reason why it shouldn't be done
29 >
30 >> as to what we the users want and what direction we want Gentoo to go
31 >> in.
32 >
33 > I want guaranteed total stability, instantly available updates,
34 > guaranteed backwards compatibility, the ability to install any package
35 > from source using my configuration of choice in under fifteen seconds
36 > and a herd of nubile bisexual redheads. Can Gentoo deliver that?
37
38 Irrelevant conclusion
39 >
40 >> It's no different than elections here in the US, people gripe but
41 >> most of the gripers don't vote.
42 >
43 > Do you really think it would make any difference if they did? All it
44 > would do is lend credibility to the process, and provide people with
45 > the argument "well you voted so you agree to accept the decision of
46 > the majority".
47 >
48 It would make a difference in the relations between users and developers.
49
50 Being a user yourself, why are you so against yourself having a say?
51 --
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list