From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:23:43
1 On Fri, 2012-12-21 at 10:46 +0000, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 21 December 2012 08:49, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 21:30 -0800, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
4 > >> I have several suggestions how we can improve things:
5 > >>
6 > >> 1. 3 months is too short period anyway.
7 > >>
8 > >> 2. Think through what the goals are. We do not want to retire as many
9 > >> people as possible. We do not want to frustrate people who do contribute
10 > >> to Gentoo. We do not want to discourage people who consider becoming new
11 > >> developers. At least I don't.
12 > >>
13 > >> 3. I think what's important is to keep packages maintained. I consider
14 > >> maintainership to be a duty, not a privilege. If someone is listed in
15 > >> metadata.xml, but is not really maintaining the package, that creates a
16 > >> formal illusion that the package is maintained, and may prevent other
17 > >> people from stepping up and taking maintenance of that package.
18 > >>
19 > >> 4. I suggest that we focus on the above: keeping packages maintained.
20 > >> Taking packages out of hands of inactive/overworked maintainers is good.
21 > >> They can always become _more_ active, which is easier if they retain cvs
22 > >> access. If they make a single commit every 3-6 months, I'm fine with
23 > >> that as long as things are maintained properly.
24 > >>
25 > >> 5. Remember that cvs/bugzilla activity is not the only way of
26 > >> contributing. It's probably most tanglible and very needed, but let's
27 > >> not reduce real people and their real world situations, and their effort
28 > >> to contribute to just dates and numbers.
29 > >>
30 > >> Paweł
31 > >>
32 > >>
33 > >
34 > > +1
35 > >
36 > > Even though I am a relatively new developer, I too got an email
37 > > stating my inactivity (not from undertakers@). My main purpose for
38 > > becoming a dev was not for ebuild work, but more for coding. Three
39 > > months is way too short to be making that type of list.
40 > >
41 > > For all those young devs out there still in college/university. You
42 > > will find that time accelerates as you age. 3 months may seem a long
43 > > time for you now, but give it another 5-10 years and you'll discover
44 > > that 3 months can go by quite quickly. Especially with a family (wife,
45 > > kids, pets) and a full time job.
46 > >
47 > > --
48 > > Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
49 >
50 > Nobody said the policy is correct. I face the same problems so the
51 > policy might not be appropriate anymore. However, I totally disagree
52 > with
53 > the way Doug started this thread. Calling us "brain dead" ? No sorry,
54 > I am not willing to discuss anything about this policy nor willing to
55 > change it if someone can't behave properly and ask us nicely to
56 > discuss the problem. We never *insulted* or *threated* anyone with
57 > retirement, we are extremely polite and we just ask for status updates
58 > in order to clean up metadata, reassign bugs and look for new
59 > maintainers of unattended packages. Nobody ever complained in the
60 > past, and all of them were willing to drop themselves from metadata
61 > without problems. But I never expected this attitude just for asking
62 > "hey are you there? do you still want to maintain all these packages?
63 > any ETA on coming back". Seriously...
66 Ah, yes. Sorry, I was replying to Pawel's suggestions. I should have
67 deleted Doug's text from the above as I've done now. I in no way meant
68 it as I was insulted/threatened by the email I got. And Doug's original
69 comments were harsh.
70 --
71 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>