From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfce and root
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:51:30
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 07 May 2001 16:04:08 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 > > Collins Richey wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > On Sun, 06 May 2001 23:31:17 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim
9 > > Gottinger) wrote:
10 > > >
11 > > > > Collins Richey wrote:
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > yes, I have ~/.xfce. I even removed this folder and started xfce
14 > > again, but xfce will not do anything as a normal user.
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > can you start the apps from an xterm?
17 > > > > You can try the following, remove your .xinitrc file and say
18 > > > > echo "xfce" > ~/.wm
19 > > > > Then run startx and see ig things work now.
20 > > > >
21 > > >
22 > > > echoing xfce to .wm and startx makes no difference. Nothing will run from
23 > > clicking the icons (xftree, run, xfmouse, etc.). If I click on the desktop
24 > > and select run, the dialog appears and I can run xftree, xfmouse, xterm. If
25 > > I try to run sylpheed from the xterm, I get permission denied, even though
26 > > /usr/local/bin/sylpheed has permissions rwxr-xr-x.
27 > > k, you installed to /usr/local, please check the permission of
28 > > /usr/local (must be 755)
29 >
30 > /usr/local is 755.
31 >
32 > by the way, su still does not work, even if I move a user to group wheel.
33
34 You must add the user to the wheel line in /etc/group
35 I
36 > donb't have to do this on any other distro - su just works.
37
38 using the wheel groupe is more secure.
39
40 bye achim~
43 > --
44 > Collins Richey