From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About using a CONFIGURATION (or SETUP) file under /usr/share/doc for configuration information
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:36:44
1 On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 08:58 -0500, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 12:20 +0000, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > > But like I said, elog messages are already saved in
4 > > /var/log/portage/elog/$cat/$pf so people can
5 > > read these. Isn't this the same with what you suggest?
6 >
7 > Is that by default? And when was that default added?
8 >
9 > I certainly do not have /var/log/portage/elog/$cat/$pf on my machine
10 > (using portage-2.2.0_alpha149), and in fact have never heard of this log
11 > file before your email.
15 No, they are not saved there by default. They must be enabled.
16
17 elog messages are not saved there, those are the build logs. They are
18 saved in /var/log/portage/elog/ as for example:
19
20 app-portage:gentoolkit-0.3.0.7:20121216-000453.log
21
22 PLUS, they can be cleaned by emaint or setup to be auto-cleaned by
23 emerge as well so as to not fill up the system with old build logs.
24
25 emaint -p logs
26
27 the default is 7 days old, will be cleaned. The emaint log module also
28 takes a -t, --time option.
31 Pacho was right with his original email. It would be best to install
32 that small text file of info where it can be found for reference later.
33 I have often had to go searching ebuilds for elog/einfo data about
34 configuring some pkg for such and such long after it's first install due
35 to needs changing or some breakage of some kind.
36
37 Much like our gentoo handbook, where most of that info can be found
38 elswhere on the net, this would extend to pkgs so that that info could
39 be compiled together in a place that did not require net access to find
40 key info needed.
41
42 This proposed method would not apply to all those pkgs with over use of
43 elog/einfo either. Many of those just need to use has_version() to
44 reduce the noise. But there are many such pkgs in the tree that could
45 benefit from the dev putting together a small doc of the configuration
46 info for gentoo, put it into the files dir to be installed as Pacho
47 suggests. It would likely reduce the number of bugs submitted due to
48 bad configuration and make it easier for users to locate (after some
49 time to get use to the idea where to find them).
50 --
51 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>