From: Jan Henkins <janh@×××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Installing using GRUB
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:38:17
1 Hi there,
2
3 Thanks for your page on alternative methods to install Gentoo.
4
5 A niggly question:
6
7 The machine I want to install Gentoo on is (don't laugh) a P133 with
8 only 32Mb RAM. So far every time I boot via a GRUB disk using the kernel
9 and initrd on the install CD (via TFTP from another Linux machine) I get
10 kernel panics with the message that there is not enough RAM. OK, that
11 would make sense, let's face it that this is as marginal as it gets.
12 Unfortunately I'm stuck with the specs as it is, I cannot find other 72
13 pin SIMMs to replace what I have to up the memory a bit.
14
15 The question is, do you have any tips regarding making things happen,
16 like a smaller kernel (monolithic) or smaller ramdisk image that might
17 work? I cannot boot from CD with this particular machine, that's why the
18 GRUB trick looked like it could save me (still could, I suppose). The
19 commandline I used with the GRUB bootdisk follows the instructions
20 closely, but not even playing with the ramdisk_size parameter do I get
21 joy. Any thoughts/tips/flames would be welcome.
24 Regards,
25 Jan Henkins
26 Project Manager: Obsidian-Transtel Linux Project
27 Tel: (011) 359-1024
28 Cell: (083) 379-6890