From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install problem with new box. help please.
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:41:17
1 On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:59:02PM -0400, Wayne Ringling wrote:
4 > I am working on setting up this new raid box and run into a problem. I get
5 > as far as the below msg in the boot process and it stalls. Any ideas
6 > greatly appreciated.
7 >
8 > ide: Assuming 33 Mhz system bus speed for pio modes, override with
9 > idebus=xx
10 > VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rec 00) IDE UDMA100 controlleron pci00:11.1
11 > Ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800 - 0xd807, Bios settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
12 > Ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808 - 0xd80F, Bios settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
13
14 I would say that this is a kernel bug. Whether or not there's kernel support
15 for your particular RAID setup (my guess is loading the correct module after
16 boot would make it work), your kernel really *should* boot no matter what.
17
18 When we start using a newer kernel, the problem may go away. Do you happen to
19 know what particular kernel feature you need enabled for Linux to recognize your
20 hardware RAID stuff?
21
22 Best Regards,
25 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>