From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] seeds, GLEPs, and projects
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:03:54
On 9/21/06, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote: > > Huge amounts of time, effort and users. How much arch team time was > > spent fixing genkernel? How much time was spent fixing the OS X mess? > > How many users did we lose as a result of all the QA screwups? > > Eh, I wanted answers, not more questions :P > > > As much as I hate relying upon slashdot for anything reasonable at all, > > an awful lot of people in that thread were suggesting that more time be > > spent on QA and fixing existing bugs and much less on fancy new > > things... > > These users are ignoring the fact that time is not the only and most > important factor. Motivation is far more important IMO, and it's pretty > hard to get the motivation together to test 60 packages instead of > tinkering around with a new idea. At least for me it often is. > > -- > Kind Regards, > > Simon Stelling > Gentoo/AMD64 developer > -- > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list > >
Maybe a recruiting drive to help with the maintenance. A typical business brings on new blood and assigns them just that role to free up more senior developers for more complicated projects. New developers should definitely meet a standard, but the possibility of bringing developers with energy and potential to assist in maintenance might be worth a consideration. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list