From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] seeds, GLEPs, and projects
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:03:54
1 On 9/21/06, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > Huge amounts of time, effort and users. How much arch team time was
4 > > spent fixing genkernel? How much time was spent fixing the OS X mess?
5 > > How many users did we lose as a result of all the QA screwups?
6 >
7 > Eh, I wanted answers, not more questions :P
8 >
9 > > As much as I hate relying upon slashdot for anything reasonable at all,
10 > > an awful lot of people in that thread were suggesting that more time be
11 > > spent on QA and fixing existing bugs and much less on fancy new
12 > > things...
13 >
14 > These users are ignoring the fact that time is not the only and most
15 > important factor. Motivation is far more important IMO, and it's pretty
16 > hard to get the motivation together to test 60 packages instead of
17 > tinkering around with a new idea. At least for me it often is.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Kind Regards,
21 >
22 > Simon Stelling
23 > Gentoo/AMD64 developer
24 > --
25 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
29 Maybe a recruiting drive to help with the maintenance. A typical
30 business brings on new blood and assigns them just that role to free
31 up more senior developers for more complicated projects.
32
33 New developers should definitely meet a standard, but the possibility
34 of bringing developers with energy and potential to assist in
35 maintenance might be worth a consideration.
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list