From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Re: where goes Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 18:38:08
1 On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 11:48 -0400, Eric Brown wrote:
2 > Every business application of Gentoo I've done has been different. I don't think I could generalize my needs into a single ebuild. Although generally I have used rsyncd and apache, I never use them in the same way. What's so hard about using the default rsyncd config, and adding distfiles to your apache document root? (what 90% of people would use).
3
4 You completely missed the management aspect here. I'm talking about
5 some form of actual enterprise-ready management framework for
6 controlling a set of Gentoo servers centrally from deployment to
7 maintenance and upgrades.
8
9 > About automating updates and etc-update: you can rsync your config file sometimes and just bypass all of the portage stuff. You could mount some config dirs over nfs even. You could even remove config_protect on some dirs and roll your own custom packages.
10
11 You can... You can... You can...
12
13 All I heard here was a bunch of excuses about how a person can take the
14 time to implement something that's been implemented by countless other
15 people, because Gentoo does not provide a framework for doing this. The
16 whole idea of being enterprise-ready is having a drop-in solution that
17 works right off the bat, with minimal to no configuration for basic
18 services. All of your solutions requires manpower to accomplish that
19 not every enterprise can afford to spend. Once again, this is why
20 Gentoo is currently not used in these situations.
21
22 > About a slower moving portage tree for enterprise users: Great idea, I think there's a GLEP about that. I think it's best handled by third parties who can spend the money/man power on that kind of QA.
23
24 Yes, there is a GLEP about this. This is also the first step to being
25 able to provide any level of enterprise-readiness. You simply cannot
26 tell someone to upgrade glibc to some new version if something is wrong
27 with the current one. They want a patch for the current one. Think
28 bug-fixes only with absolutely zero new features between whatever form
29 of releases are created.
30
31 > This brings me to your last point about calling someone when there are problems: There are companies that provide Linux services, even Gentoo specific services. Some of these companies might even provide enterprise-grade portage mirrors with support for the packages they maintain there.
32
33 I don't think I would stake my company's infrastructure on the reliance
34 on Bob and Joe's Gentoo Support Hotline, sorry. Not to mention you
35 haven't actually given a single example of someone who can provide this
36 level of enterprise support. There's a reason why you haven't given an
37 example. None exists.
38
39 > I'm sorry, I never ran 1000 Gentoo machines in production like that, I thought enterprise meant this (answers.com):
40 >
41 > en·ter·prise (ĕn'tər-prīz') pronunciation
42 > n.
43 >
44 > 1. An undertaking, especially one of some scope, complication, and risk.
45 > 2. A business organization.
46 > 3. Industrious, systematic activity, especially when directed toward profit: Private enterprise is basic to capitalism.
47 > 4. Willingness to undertake new ventures; initiative: “Through want of enterprise and faith men are where they are, buying and selling, and spending their lives like serfs” (Henry David Thoreau).
48
49 Wow. A dictionary definition that is completely out of context and
50 doesn't account for the word enterprise being used as a technical
51 representation.
52
53 I've got a few "enterprise" definitions for you, too.
54
55 The Enterprise type is a two-man hiking sailing dinghy with a
56 distinctive blue sail and no spinnaker. Despite being one of the older
57 classes of dinghies, it remains popular and well used for both cruising
58 and racing. It has a combination of stability, size and power which
59 contiues to appeal to all ages, and to sailing schools.
60
61 ...or...
62
63 Star Trek: Enterprise is a science fiction television series set in the
64 Star Trek universe.(Until the third season its title was simply
65 Enterprise, and it is often abbreviated as ST:ENT or ENT).The series
66 follows the adventures of the crew of the Enterprise (NX-01), the first
67 human interstellar ship that can achieve Warp 5.Enterprise premiered in
68 the United States on September 26, 2001, and is presently in its fourth,
69 and final, season.
70
71 ...though the one I am looking for, and the one that fits the scope of
72 this conversation is this one:
73
74 In the computer industry, an enterprise is an organization that uses
75 computers. In practice, the term is applied much more often to larger
76 organizations than smaller ones.
77
78 We are using this in practice. Therefore, we are speaking of large
79 organizations, and not just *any* organization.
80
81 > Doesn't this just go to show that in business, everyone wants something different from Gentoo? What does Novell offer to manage large numbers of linux boxen? Are you sure projects like OpenMosix don't have tools you could use to manage such a large number of machines?
82
83 Not really. It does go to show that you'll go to great lengths to try
84 to prove a point, even when you're grasping at straws. Everybody
85 wanting something from Gentoo has zero to do with the single goal of
86 providing an enterprise-ready version of Gentoo, which is the topic that
87 we are discussing.
88
89 Novell has several tools, that when used in combination, form a cohesive
90 framework for deploying, managing, and upgrading systems. What's even
91 better, is it isn't just limited to Linux, but I'll leave that as an
92 exercise for the readers... ;] Novell uses a combination of these
93 components, such as eDirectory and ZENworks, to form this framework.
94
95 > Maybe we can't rely on portage so much in scenarios where replication is the goal...
96
97 Portage really has nothing to do with deployment or management. In
98 fact, the only thing it really does is package management, which is
99 probably why it is called a package management tool, and not an
100 enterprise resource manager.
101
102 > Of course, I'm sure you can't call Red Hat or Suse if you don't pay them some way or another. If you don't pay, could you find such a supportive community on IRC or in forums? (I think not)
103
104 Of course not, nobody ever claimed that you could, nor implied it.
105
106 Nobody has ever mentioned *anything* about our community, because it has
107 exactly zero value in the enterprise, especially as a support medium.
108 Try telling some upper manager that he needs to download an IRC client,
109 then connect to irc.freenode.net, then join #gentoo and ask his question
110 in the channel, along with all the other noise, then hope that someone
111 answers his question. Try explaining to him that this is the standard
112 form of support for your deployment, and watch as you get laughed out of
113 the office and off to the unemployment line.
114
115 > There are lots of Gentoo gurus who will gladly accept your money to help you fix your problems =)
116
117 Sorry, but I'm not calling vapier and listening to him tell me about his
118 wang when I have an issue with LDAP replication that I need resolved
119 immediately as my customers are starting to call in quite irate. I
120 would want a company with a dedicated staff on-hand to support my needs
121 that is available when I need them.
122
123 > >I work for a telecommunications company, and we run Linux and Solaris.
124 > >For our Linux, we run Red Hat, even though they have, on staff, one of
125 > >the people that understands Gentoo's deployment capabilities better than
126 > >most, via catalyst and the GLI. Why do we run Red Hat? When something
127 > >breaks with one of their packages, we call them, and expect them to fix
128 > >it. It is also a name that gives upper management the warm fuzzies.
129 > >Gentoo has neither the brand recognition, nor the support capabilities
130 > >to be a good sale to management.
131 >
132 > Sounds like FUD to me. Use what works for you though. If you managers really need that big brand name with that 800 number, that's just how you'll have to do it. Perhaps I've been lucky at the places I work where I am simply responsible myself for keeping certain systems up, and that's that.
133
134 Ooohh... FUD. Amazing how someone telling the truth is immediately
135 labeled as FUD, especially when it goes against the misconceptions and
136 bold-faced lies that someone that is a bit overzealous in his devotion
137 is trying to push. My managers are normal managers, just like you would
138 find all over the enterprise. They want to know about risks and costs,
139 and are damn well and ready to pay for support if it means that their
140 ass won't be on the line when something breaks. It is starting to sound
141 to me that your idea of "enterprise" is "production" when the two are
142 far different. Think of enterprise as an order of magnitude or more
143 greater than production. If you're thinking 10 servers, think 100, or
144 1000.
145
146 > I wouldn't refute my manager's claims if he controlled my paycheck :D
147
148 Haven't you ever been in a meeting? You know, where they ask your
149 opinion. Are you a drone? Do you just do everything that you're told
150 and question nothing?
151
152 If so, then you're *perfect* for a middle manager position in any large
153 enterprise corporation. Start puckering your lips now, it's a position
154 you'll get used to quite quickly. For the rest of us out here, we
155 actually give our managers our opinions, and when we're trying to use a
156 product, we fight for it.
157
158 > But in my professional opinion, as someone who has had to manage up to 10 Linux servers at a time, Gentoo was by far the best choice. That's what I'd say to my manager if he ever asked me why I want to use Gentoo.
159
160 I don't mean to offend you, but 10 servers is nothing like an enterprise
161 deployment. I have more than 10 servers at my house, and I surely don't
162 consider that any kind of enterprise. Instead, think about managing
163 1000 geographically dispersed servers. This is more the scale that
164 we're talking about, not the local Baptist church's IT needs.
165
166 Gentoo is currently unmaintainable at this scale without a significant
167 investment in infrastructure and development to make the system
168 manageable. Think of it this way, if I can pay 4 developers to work on
169 this project for 6 months, and each developer makes $50,000 a year, or I
170 can pay Novell $100,000 and have the system in place in 2 weeks, which
171 do you think I would do? This is the exact reason why Gentoo is not
172 used in the enterprise more. There is simply too high a barrier of
173 entry into making a usable and manageable Gentoo deployment.
174
175 > Ever consider founding a company that specializes in Enterprise Gentoo deployment and support? It sounds like there could be quite a demand for such services :)
176
177 Yeah, I considered it. Then I came down from the acid trip and realized
178 how hateful it would be. I'm sorry, but I definitely don't want to
179 spend my time being restricted to working only on the problems that some
180 large corporation deemed was important to them, being harassed and
181 stressed to meet their deadlines. I work on Gentoo because I enjoy it,
182 not because I gain from it financially. I have no problem adding
183 enterprise features or improving enterprise support, but I get enough
184 stress at my day job, why should I get even more from my hobby?
187 Chris Gianelloni
189 Games - Developer
190 Gentoo Linux