From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: www-apps/egroupware
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 06:50:45
1 On Thursday, July 07, 2016 06:37:09 AM Duncan wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld posted on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 20:22:57 +0200 as excerpted:
3 > > On Thursday, June 30, 2016 10:30:07 PM Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 > >> # Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> (30 Jun 2016)
5 > >> # Unpatched security vulnerability per bug #509920.
6 > >> # Removal in 30 days www-apps/egroupware
7 > >
8 > > Why is this bug being used to treeclean egroupware?
9 > >
10 > > Why is bug 461212 not being used to actually resolve the issue?
11 > > If I would actually be confident that it would actually be used, I would
12 > > have no issue on trying to get my latest ebuild ( version 14.3.20160525
13 > > ) converted to the latest standards.
14 >
15 > According to equery meta, egroupware has no individual developer
16 > maintainer and no proxied maintainer, only the webapps project as
17 > maintainer. And apparently there, nobody has been specifically
18 > interested in egroupware, so it has fallen thru the cracks to some
19 > degree, tho newer versions /may/ be in the webapps-experimental overlay.
20
21 I tried contacting the web-apps project directly, but never received a reply.
22
23 > Here's the webapps project wiki page:
24 >
25 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Webapps
26 >
27 > That has this to say when discussing the overlay, quote:
28 >
29 ....
30 >
31 > The overlay can be found here:
32 > https://cgit.gentoo.org/proj/webapps-experimental.git/
33
34 Last commit in 2011.
35
36 > Warning
37 > Please remember that the applications available through the overlay might
38 > compromise the security of your server!
39 >
40 > The overlay is an ideal playground for new developers wishing to join our
41 > team. Once we see that you are capable of writing ebuilds of reasonable
42 > quality, we can provide you with commit rights to the overlay.
43 >
44 > End quote.
47 > So it's possible newer versions are in the overlay, and they simply
48 > decided it was too much of a load to keep a version in the tree as well.
49 >
50 > If there /aren't/ newer versions in the overlay, presumably it's because
51 > nobody that has access has been interested in maintaining it in the
52 > overlay either.
53 >
54 > Either way, given your obvious interest, I'd suggest contacting them
55 > about overlay commit rights, and/or volunteering to be the proxied
56 > maintainer for this particular package.
57
58 Is there a way of finding out who are actually in the web-app project and which
59 of them would be able and willing to work with me on this and other web
60 applications that I actively use?
61
62 From the lack of response to the email and lack of updates on the overlay, the
63 project seems dead to me.
66 Joost