From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:38:22
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 15:44, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > >> I'd like to see, that bootstrap.sh unmerges any old gcc
3 > >> (emerge -C \<${gcc package that we just compiled})
4 > >
5 > > that's a bad idea imo
6 > > let the user decide which gcc they wish to have
7 >
8 > So i understand what you're trying to tell me, but bootstrap.sh makes
9 > the choice already:
10 > bootstrap.sh only rebuilds gcc 3.4
11 > (i looked that up in my emerge.log)
12
13 you're looking at bootstrap wrong ... it forces a few native packages to the
14 newest version available
15
16 in this case, bootstrap emerges gcc and portage picks the best one ...
17 gcc-3.4.4
18
19 > >> so that a clean system is built with gcc 3.4 only!
20 > >
21 > > it wouldnt anyways as the version of gcc isnt changed unless the user
22 > > does so
23 > >
24 > > so unless you ran `gcc-config 3.4.4`, your gcc version would still be
25 > > 3.3.x
26 >
27 > Right, and it will be the gcc 3.3 included in the stage1 tarball - even
28 > if a new gcc 3.3 version is available. So if the user wants to use gcc
29 > 3.3, he has to manually update gcc (for example to have features not
30 > included in the gcc from the stage1 tarball).
31
32 if a user wants gcc-3.3 but not gcc-3.4, then it's their responsibility to
33 mask it accordingly via /etc/portage
34
35 > So no matter if the user wants gcc 3.3 or gcc 3.4, the user has to do
36 > something manually to get a "proper" gentoo.
37
38 i dont know what you mean by "proper"
39
40 at any rate, this will all "fix" itself when 2006.0 is released
41
42 > If i may suggest something, then i would recomm that the user is abled
43 > to specify the gcc installed by bootstrap.sh like this:
44 > bootstrap.sh --gccspec "=sys-devel/gcc-3.3*"
45
46 no, use /etc/portage
47 -mike
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list