From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:12:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 13:53:12 -0700
6 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> Does this seem like a good approach? Are there any suggestions for
8 >>>> improvements or alternative approaches?
9 >>> Strikes me as a good way of causing extreme confusion for users...
10 >> Perhaps it's not so confusing if the packages continue to behave
11 >> normally in the usual cases, but they are mapped into set space as
12 >> suggested earlier [1].
13 >
14 > Then why not just make the things sets? Come up with a standard way of
15 > distributing sets as part of a repository, and let future EAPIs include
16 > deps upon sets.
17
18 We can even do both. We could come up with a standard way to
19 distribute sets and make PROPERTIES=set be one of the possible
20 formats used for set distribution.
21
22 >>> Consider sets in package.use, for example. Any specified flags
23 >>> should apply to the entire set. But what about set-property
24 >>> packages?
25 >> In order to fit into the ebuild framework, the specified flags would
26 >> only apply to direct dependency atoms. Atoms pulled in by recursion
27 >> into other set-property packages would have the flags applied from
28 >> those respective set-property packages.
29 >
30 > Right, so you'd get the bizarre case that, given:
31 >
32 > cat/foo one
33 > cat/bar two
34 > cat/baz three
35 >
36 > The one flag applies onto to cat/foo, the three flag applies only to
37 > cat/baz but the two flag applies to cat/monkey and cat/hamster.
38 >
39 > Sets need to *look* different...
40
41 It seems like more of a feature to me, rather than a problem. The
42 idea is that sets can nest other sets, and at the same time nested
43 sets can have different USE conditional settings than the sets that
44 nest them.
45
46 >>> Sets and packages aren't the same thing, and shouldn't be treated
47 >>> as if they are.
48 >> Packages and virtuals aren't the same thing either, but glep 37
49 >> virtuals fit quite well into the existing ebuild framework. It seems
50 >> to me that set-property packages will also fit nicely into the
51 >> existing ebuild framework.
52 >
53 > GLEP 37 effectively abolishes virtuals. It doesn't try to overload new
54 > behaviour onto packages.
55
56 Well, PROPERTIES=set doesn't necessarily need overload new behavior
57 onto packages any more that virtual ebuilds do. If set-property
58 ebuilds are mapped into set space then the overloaded behavior will
59 come from them being referenced as sets, which won't overload their
60 ebuild behavior since they can simply behave like existing
61 meta-packages already do.
62 - --
63 Thanks,
64 Zac