From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per package eclass GLEP
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:21:17
On 09/20/2010 07:30 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
> Under the new system I can put the code: > > 1) In a global eclass, any ebuild can likely use it > 2) In a per-package eclass, only one package can use it > 3) In a pkg eblit, only one package can use it
Per package eclasses are pretty much eblits with some PM support thrown in.
> Wouldn't taking code from a global eclass and moving it to a > per-package eclass limit code re-use?
No, code reuse will stay the same. What I like about the idea is moving more of the code closer to the ebuild files, tightening it's scope. No more wondering (as an ebuild author) if and how I could use php5_2-sapi.eclass - it just wouldn't be there. I'll answer more points tomorrow, but thanks for your ideas!