From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the state of dev-lang/lua
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 13:26:51
1 Am Samstag, 23. März 2019, 22:23:27 CET schrieb William Hubbs:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Soon I will be working on fixing up the state of dev-lang/lua, and there
5 > are a couple of things I want to mention.
6 >
7 > The first thing is liblua as a shared library. If you are using lua
8 > internally in a program, upstream strongly recommends not linking it
9 > this way; it is supposed to be statically linked into the executable.
10 > Because of this, and because of the amount of custom patching we do to
11 > maintain liblua as a shared library, I plan to stop creating the shared
12 > library.
15 Please dont. Static linking is a security nightmare.
16
17 I'd much rather consider removing the static library, and fix programs broken
18 by that. (No matter what silly opinions lua upstream has.)
21 Andreas K. Hüttel
22 dilfridge@g.o
23 Gentoo Linux developer
24 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)