From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed change to savedconfig.eclass
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 04:56:34
1 On Wednesday 24 February 2010 12:16:24 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
2 > While you're touching this, could you improve this part a bit:
3 >
4 > # maybe the user is screwing around with perms they shouldnt #289168
5 > if [[ ! -r ${base} ]] ; then
6 > eerror "Unable to read ${base} -- perms are screwed ?"
7 > die "fix your system"
8 > fi
9 >
10 > I understand frustration caused by weird things people are doing with
11 > systems, but sometimes it can be even caused by some tool's error or
12 > whatever. IMHO these are not good error messages. I'd prefer something
13 > like this:
14 >
15 > # Make sure we don't hit a problem with permissions, bug #289168
16 > if [[ ! -r ${base} ]] ; then
17 > eerror "Unable to read ${base}. Please run chmod 755 ${base}"
18 > eerror "and try again."
19 > die "unable to read ${base}"
20 > fi
21
22 the issue is in basic assumptions. you're assuming that -r means a chmod will
23 fix it because the error is due to missing +r bits. i make no assumptions and
24 merely propose the most likely problem category (missing +r bits). a subtle,
25 but important, distinction (at least in my mind).
26 -mike