From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-im/pidgin protocols
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:06:50
1 fire-eyes wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote:
3 > > OTOH, if enabling those protocols pulls in all sorts of additional
4 > > packages to support them, shipping with everything on just because
5 > > it's possible is not the Gentoo way. That's what USE flags are
6 > > for. If indeed additional dependencies are pulled in, IMO the USE
7 > > flags should remain, and maybe someone needs to explain the Gentoo
8 > > way to upstream.
9 >
10 > ++; from a user. I prefer to leave them off. However I can understand
11 > the other sides point of view, too.
12
13 I believe one of the main philosophies of Gentoo is to try to have an
14 app be as close to upstream as possible. I personally believe that
15 this means the we should try to enable enough USE flags by default that
16 it is roughly equivalent to running upstream's './configure' with no
17 arguments. USE flags then give the advanced user the ability to
18 disable those features normally on, or enable those features normally
19 off, but we want a freshly installed package by default to "just
20 work"[1] and to be "as close to upstream as possible"[2].
21
22 With this in mind, enabling most of the default protocols makes sense
23 to me.
24
25 [1]
26 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap1
27
28 [2] looking for actual references to this, but couldn't find it...
29 I think it's _somewhere_ in the required new-developer reading...
32 Jim Ramsay
33 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)