From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:24:44
1 On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:56:38 -0700 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | This whole thing seems a bit dumb; it's not that far off from someone
4 | coming along with a non-compliant c compiler, and arguing that
5 | they're still compliant, they just dropped the stupid stuff they
6 | didn't like.
7
8 And this is why your whole argument is nonsensical. C is a documented
9 and fixed standard (or rather, several of them).
10
11 | > | Add binpkgs, and try it- you'll get some fun behaviour there.
12 | >
13 | > As we're not emulating Portage's binary package format, it's not an
14 | > issue at all.
15 |
16 | Doesn't matter *how* you bundle the ebuild data (cpio/tar/whatever),
17 | the issue of reloading the env still will exist, the container for
18 | the data doesn't matter.
19
20 What's your point?
21
22 | > A lot of the ebuild handling (especially environment) is done in
23 | > C++. You're missing all kinds of things by only looking at the bash
24 | > code.
25 |
26 | And portage does a lot of crazy shit in python for env handling
27 | also. Sooner or later however, it hands control over to bash with a
28 | pregenerated environment for the ebuild to execute in- what I keep
29 | pointing out (and you keep dodging) is that the ebuild env *must* be
30 | consistant, regardless of the actual pkg manager implementation.
31
32 And hey, we do provide a consistent environment.
33
34 | You deviate from the standard of the tree, you break your support
35 | for the tree. Pretty simple, users being the ones who see the mess.
36
37 Ok, so the *tree* is the standard now, not Portage? That's good,
38 because the tree is the standard we're using.
39
40 | > | Feel free to suggest them- since it's initial discussion, your
41 | > | comments on it haven't really progressed beyond "y'all did it
42 | > | badly", without naming a solution that works.
43 | >
44 | > I gave you two that worked. One, the .ebuild.n thing, which avoids
45 | > the filename incompatibility issue and the source issue. Two, the
46 | > "eapi as a function" thing, which avoids the source issue.
47 |
48 | 1) sucks- folks aren't going to be happy when they have
49 | mplayer-1.0.1.ebuild.25
50
51 Yes, but unfortunately it's the only way around Portage exploding
52 horribly when it encounters something it doesn't understand.
53
54 | 2) EAPI as a function is no different then EAPI as a var, just
55 | massively slower since you have to shell out more.
56
57 Untrue. If the eapi function checks that the eapi is supported and
58 bails with an understandable error if not, the rest of the file doesn't
59 have to be source compatible.
60
61 | > Which is a good thing. Rather than emulating one of Portage's
62 | > sillier misfeatures, which only came about because of the whole
63 | > "single repository" concept being hard-coded, we did it properly.
64 |
65 | So... let me see if I grok this- last response, state it supports
66 | eclass unified overlays (blurb above). Now you're stating that it
67 | doesn't, because it's one of portage's misfeatures. Please don't
68 | waste the bandwidth doing that again.
69
70 Try defining your terms properly. It supports overlays with a unified
71 eclass directory. It doesn't support overlays with unified eclasses
72 from different directories.
73
74 | Stating it "won't be a silent failure" does not make it so- line 1023
75 | of portage.py directly contradicts that.
76
77 There are other ways of making Portage fail non-silently, as you know
78 fine well.
79
80 | If your parent parsing implementation handled N parents on a single
81 | line (rather then parent per line as you do now), portage would
82 | explode rather then silently use the left most. Your implementation
83 | isn't doing that however...
84
85 Disallows spaces in paths. Which, admittedly, is probably a good thing.
86
87 | > | Bit retarded here, but seriously, work it out in the overlay
88 | > | (like most herds do), then try to bring it to the tree.
89 | >
90 | > Oh, we already went through that stage.
91 |
92 | So... where's the sample profile? :)
93
94 Elsewhere in the thread.
95
96 | > | That and the thread is getting fairly wide in discusion, rather
97 | > | then the profile specific "does alt pkg manager X cruft belong in
98 | > | the tree?"
99 | >
100 | > Well yes, because rather than discussing the issues, you're trying
101 | > to turn this into your personal crusade against Paludis.
102 |
103 | Sorry you see it that way, meanwhile kindly address the points I've
104 | been raising
105
106 What points? When you start coming up with points relevant to a Paludis
107 profile and stop using this as a personal vendetta I might be
108 interested.
111 Ciaran McCreesh
112 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
116 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list